Hiya!


Hi y'all! I once had a project where I wrapped myself in tape to create a human shell of my body, like a cicada. Ever since then I loved the figure and used it as my focal point in art. Despite what medium I am working in I will always find a way to use the human body as my message. In high school, I took on the "unofficial" role of a studio assistant in my ceramics classroom. I became close with the teacher and the visiting artists who later became my mentors and close friends. I made these connections as a way to learn and be more ingrained in the art world. My school had a biannual Raku firing where I held a leadership role that is vital to the Raku process. While here at Lawrence I have drifted away from the ceramics world as it has started to feel limiting, I have in exchange picked up metalworking and woodworking as my medium. While on campus I hold a Theater Shop management position which I use as an opportunity to not only learn about a different side of the art world I am not used to but to also use my building skills whenever I can.

Trapped in a Screen
(Self Portrait) 2020

My major is in studio art and minor in German, I am also getting my teaching certificate while I am at Lawrence. My focus has been on the general figure but for this last year, I am planning on truly pushing myself to create some pieces that reflect how I see myself and my own body. That is something that I have struggled with my whole artistic career as I have body dysmorphia and often find it hard to even complete a self portrait.


"Our new environment compels commitment and participation. We have become irrevocably involved with, and responsible for, each other" (McLuhan p.24). This is the attitude that we need in our society currently, we need to be here for each other in any way we can. For me, the way I can be involved with others is by teaching, which is what I plan to do after Lawrence. Further down the road, I do have more plans for my art but I know that good teachers are needed right now and I plan to be one of them.

Comments

Popular Posts